Saturday, August 1, 2009

...and I was just crowned Miss District of Columbia 2009!!!

Photobucket

Two years ago I competed in my first pageant, Miss D.C. 2007. Going into it having absolutely no idea what I was doing, and receiving 2nd Runner Up, made me realize that this was something I could actually succeed in! So I took the next year to step back and learn what I needed to in order to be competitive and successful in this organization. I came back to Miss DC 2008 with more confidence and thought I was ready. And I got close. But in hindsight, I realize that I really needed to grow and experience everything that I have in the past year. As Miss DC Sweetheart, I took advantage of every opportunity to be an active titleholder and therefore prepare myself to be Miss DC this year. This gave me the confidence that I was capable of the job of Miss DC and the second the crown hit my head, I knew I could hit the ground running.

In the weeks prior to Miss DC 2009, I was nervous and scattered among everything between preparation, my job, and more. I was receiving so much encouragement and advice from friends, family and coworkers, but to a point that I was overwhelmed and felt as though the true “me” was getting a bit clouded or lost. My roommate who was Miss Maryland Teen USA 05 sat me down and gave me a reality check. She empathized with me, sharing that the same thing happened to her entering nationals. She emphasized the importance of going into the interview room and on that stage as ME – just Jen. Once the week came, I felt an all over calming feeling. I was ready.

And that’s about all I’ve got until I was crowned because the actual pageant felt like a complete blur. The afterparty was pretty baller. My grandfather took everyone across the street from the Lincoln Theatre to Ulah Bistro. Thank you to everyone who came and celebrated with us!!

Obviously with an event as significant as this, I have some people to thank:

Miss DC Organization and volunteers, especially Teri, Tricia and Sonya: You have encouraged me to come back each year, and I’m here because of that. I finally did it! Thank you.

Former Miss DC’s: For offering your advice and making yourselves available to me in this next year.

My family: For putting up with my ridiculousness and for not telling me to sit down and shut up when I wanted to stand on tables in restaurants and sing.



Poppy: I don’t even know what to say to you. Thank you for being the most awesome person I could have in my life. And for always being my biggest fan.

Neil: For calling my boss the morning after Miss DC and telling him I’m not going to work!

The Washington National Opera: For supporting me, for making my talent costume, and for being flexible with my new exciting, yet hectic schedule.

My friends:

All of the Pike boys who come to everything for me. Get ready for Vegas!!

Patrick, Cori, Prieto, Danielle, and Ashley for coming all the way down to support me!

My DC friends- thanks for putting up with my crazy life all year and for always being there for me when I just want to be Jen and not Jen-Miss DC.

Ashleigh and BettyAnn, Claire, and all my Sweetheart girls (and boys, Chris) for defining the quality of women in this organization. We all started as competitors, but became fast and wonderful friends, who are unconditionally supportive of each other in our quest towards the same goal. I am so excited to be reunited with the Sweetheart Class of 08 at Miss America in January – Congrats, girls!!

No comments:

Post a Comment