Sunday, August 23, 2009

...and then I moved





^^ not a picture of moving. But a picture of my new bffs (Miss Virgin Islands and Miss Puerto Rico) from my trip to orlando.


Moving is not something I wish upon anyone. That said, I’m not sure what I was thinking when I decided it was a good idea to completely pack and move from somewhere I’ve lived for over 2 years in less than 24 hours. On top of that, I thought it was a good idea to say yes to an appearance that was to start downtown exactly one hour after I was scheduled to drop off my u-haul. How exactly was I planning on doing this? Welcome to being Miss DC. You can get dressed in 15 minutes… a sequin evening gown, hair, makeup, heels, bag, crown, sash…. Uh oh… I had left my crown and sash in my car, which was parked at my old apartment. The bigger problem? I couldn’t find which bag I threw my car keys into. No biggie, I’ll call Onstar on my way there and have them unlock it. Next problem? I can NEVER find a cab when I’m in a rush. I called for a cab at 7:15 knowing I had to be there at 7:30 AND I had to stop clear across town to get my crown and sash. No biggie… knew they would start late. I was preparing to make a fierce entrance at Miss Gay DC wearing my competition Miss DC evening gown. I knew they’d love it.

So there I am, standing outside my new apartment where no one knows me or why it is completely normal to see me standing on the side of the road in a sequin evening gown. The woman had told me 5 minutes for the cab. I stood outside for 45 minutes in the heat… and heels… waiting. I called twice, got some nasty woman who told me I had NOT called 30 minutes earlier, when I did. And then I had to bust it out… “Do you understand what I look like right now!? I am Miss District of Columbia and I am trying to get my crown and sash to get to an event and you have left me standing on the side of a road in a designer sequin evening gown.” I didn’t want to… but I felt it was necessary after 45 minutes of waiting. They immediately changed their tone and sent me a new cab, which got there 5 minutes later. By the time he arrived I was already tearing up because it was 8:00 and I was totally stressed out. There would be no time to get my crown or sash so I went straight there.

In the end, it really didn’t matter. I had a fab time at Miss Gay DC. Probably the most fun event I’ve been to. All the men (and queens) gave me the most sincere compliments, the best being all of the genuine “thank you’s” for being there to support their pageant and their lifestyles. They even called me up on stage twice! The first to show off my gown, which one of the hosts wanted to buy off me, and the second, to help Miss Gay America crown the new Miss Gay DC 2009, NAME. The entire show was completely entertaining and those girls are so talented!



After the pageant it was back to unloading the car…. I think I may own too many clothes……………………..nah!

No comments:

Post a Comment