Tuesday, September 1, 2009

...and then I left my purse at the Commandant’s house

On August 28th, I had the privilege of being invited to the 8th and I Marine Parade in SE DC. Of course it was pouring rain the whole way there, so I wasn’t sure if it was really going to happen. After driving around for 30 minutes I figured out the whole valet parking situation, but of course had no idea what name our reservations were under. Wasn’t too big of a deal though… just flashed the crown and they let me leave my car right in front. ;)

Carla Brown some how managed to get us invited to the last parade of the summer, and also the one that the Commandant would be at himself! We attended a little cocktail party before the parade inside the commandant’s house. His wife greeted us at the door. She was the sweetest lady from the second we walked in. She even offered to let Sonya and I leave our bags (and crown box) in a sectioned off room. The house was beautiful! Just thinking about all of the American and DC history within that house was amazing. My favorite part of our tour was when we reached the top of the stairs and from a private room 3 little girls came running out when they heard I was there. We did a cute little photo op and I got to hear all about their princess sneakers and I told them to watch for me at Miss America. That is my favorite part of being Miss DC… seeing that expression on a little girl’s face when they see you up close.

I also had the opportunity to shake hands with a lot of powerful people and a lot of just awesomely interesting people. I even met a dog who is trained to help veterans who have been injured. I really love this organization.

The parade in general was probably one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen in DC. Everyone should go. Fav parts: 1. When the military band played “All That Jazz” 2. The trumpet guys on the roof 3. When Sonya, Carla, and I got the opportunity to scope out the boys as they marched right in front of our front row seats.

The night ended with Sonya and I trying very hard to get back into the house to get our bags, which seemed much harder than anticipated. No one seemed to know the "protocol" on that one, but we eventually found a very nice Marine to stand with me, while another one escorted Sonya inside to find our bags. I don’t think those Marines knew they were going to have to go on Mission: Locate Miss DC’s crown box in the Commandant’s house without getting in trouble. Oops. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment